The Garbo silents collection
- [United States] : Turner Entertainment Co., 2005
- Resource Type:
- Video or Visual Material
Additional/Related Title Information
- Full Title:
- The Garbo silents collection
- Series Titles:
- Garbo, the signature collection
Turner classic movies.
Garbo : the signature collection.
- Related/Included Titles:
- Es war. English.
War in the dark.
Tierra de todos.
Flesh and the devil (Motion picture)
Mysterious lady (Motion picture)
Temptress (Motion picture)
- Additional Author/Creators:
Brown, Clarence, 1890-1987
Niblo, Fred, 1874-1948
Garbo, Greta, 1905-1990
Hanson, Lars, 1887-1965
Gilbert, John, 1897-1936
Nagel, Conrad, 1897-1970
Moreno, Antonio, 1887-1967
Barrymore, Lionel, 1878-1954
Sudermann, Hermann, 1857-1928. Es war
Wolff, Ludwig, 1876- War in the dark
Blasco Ibáñez, Vicente, 1867-1928. Tierra de todos
Turner Entertainment Co.
Warner Home Video (Firm)
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
Wolff, Ludwig,1876---Film adaptations
Sudermann, Hermann,1857-1928--Film adaptations
Blasco Ibáñez, Vicente,1867-1928--Film adaptations
- Table of Contents:
- Disc 1. Flesh and the devil (1927) / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer; screen play by Benjamin F. Glazer; directed by Clarence Brown (112 min.) -- disc 2, side A. The mysterious lady (1928) / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer ; directed by Fred Niblo (106 min.) -- disc 2, side B. The temptress (1926) / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer ; directed by Fred Niblo ; scenario, Dorothy Farnum (106 min.).
Flesh and the devil: Best friends love the same woman and resort to a duel.
The mysterious lady: Garbo plays an alluring Russian spy who falls in love with her "target."
The temptress: An unhappy wife (Elena) falls in love with a Spanish engineer (Robledo). When it is revealed that Elena is not only married, but has also been the mistress of a banker (Fontenoy), Robledo returns to South America. Subsequently, Elena and her husband (the Marquis) also go to South America. Years later Robledo returns to Paris and runs into Elena who does not seem to recognize him. Elena has become a pathetic drunkard who is apparently beyond Robledo's help.
- Language Note:
Silent films with full orchestral scores by Michael Picton.
Optional subtitles in French or Spanish; closed-captioned in English.
- Physical Type/Description:
- 2 videodiscs (324 min.) : sound, black & white ; 4 3/4 in.
- Technical Note:
- DVD, region 1, standard version; Dolby Digital stereo; dual-layer format (disc 1).
- General Note:
Title from container.
Flesh and the devil: based on Hermann Sudermann's novel The undying past.
The mysterious lady: based on Ludwig Wolff's novel War in the dark.
Temptress: based on Vicente Blasco Ibáñez's novel Tierra de todos.
Originally issued in a cased series entitled: Garbo, the signature collection.
Special features: "Flesh and the Devil" commentary by Garbo author Barry Paris; settling the score goes behind-the-scenes of the TCM Young Film Composers Competition; alternate ending; photo montage; " The Mysterious Lady" commentary by Jeffrey Vance and Tony Maietta; The Divine Woman: surviving 9-minute excerpt of this lost 1928 silent; photo montage; "The Temptress" commentary by Mark A. Vieria; alternate ending with commentary by Mark A. Vieria; photo montage.
- Participant/Performer Note:
Flesh and the devil: Greta Garbo, John Gilbert, Lars Hanson.
The mysterious lady: Greta Garbo, Conrad Nagel.
The temptress: Greta Garbo, Antonio Moreno and Lionel Barrymore.
- Catalog ID (MMSID):
- OCLC Number:
- Other Identifiers:
- Universal Product Code: 012569674721
- Publisher Number:
- 67472 Turner Entertainment Co.