These records document ACPE's primary function of certifying and monitoring individuals and institutions that provide training in the field of pastoral care. They include correspondence, reports, memoranda, minutes, addresses, publications, photographs, and audio recordings. The records in this record group are primarily those produced or received by the Central Office. Basic documentation of regional operations is available but there is little coverage of individual supervisors, training centers, or seminaries, particularly for the post-merger years. The records for the period up to 1967 are primarily those of the Council for Clinical Training, Inc. (formerly known as the Council for Clinical Training of Theological Students, Inc.), one of the four antecedent bodies which merged to form the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education in 1967. Events which led toward the merger are well documented by correspondence, reports and records of meetings. Archives of the other three antecedent bodies and papers of major figures in the field of clinical pastoral education which further document the roots of ACPE are located in other repositories.
136.75 cubic ft. (45 records center cartons, 200 letter-size archives boxes, 44 legal archives boxes, 42 half- size letter boxes, 12 half-size legal boxes, 6 4"x5" boxes, & 1 oversize box)
Restrictions on Access:
Unrestricted with the following exceptions: Confidential records in Series III, Subseries 6: Access restricted Confidential records in Series IX, Subseries 3: Access restricted
Organization and Arrangement:
Organized in nine series: Series I: Organization and Policy Records, 1930-2000; Series II: Committee, Task Force, and Network Files, 1933-2005; Series III: Records of Individual and Institutional Members, 1930-1995; Series IV: Conference Records, 1932-1999; Series V: Regional Material, 1955-2000; Series VI: Literature and Training Materials, 1930-2000; Series VII: Financial Records, 1935-1995; Series VIII: Related Organizations, 1935-1993; Series IX: Audio-Visual Materials, 1945-1982, undated. Arrangement varies by series.
The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE) was formed on November 17, 1967 by the merger of four organizations: the Association of Clinical Pastoral Educators (formerly, the Southern Baptist Association for Clinical Pastoral Education), the Council for Clinical Training, Inc. (CCT), the Institute of Pastoral Care, Inc., and the Department of Institutional Chaplaincy and Clinical Pastoral Education - Lutheran Council in the U.S.A. While the formation of the ACPE joined together four organizations, a decentralization of function which had already begun, at least within the CCT, continued following the merger. Training of students and other regular operations increasingly became the work of local centers and of the regions, while the national organization turned its attention more fully toward development of standards, accreditation of training centers, certification of training supervisors and promotion of the CPE movement. Following a time of consolidation of the new organization, the ACPE began to work more directly with other organizations having similar interests, such as the American Association of Pastoral Counselors, the Association of Mental Health Chaplains and the National Association of Catholic Chaplains.
Ownership and Custodial History:
These records were transferred to Pitts Theology Library from the library of the Yale University Divinity School in 1991. The original register was compiled by Kent A. Anderson, Deborah DeMeester, and Martha Lund Smalley of the Yale Divinity Library in August 1984. This finding aid was transcribed with minor editing and format changes by Joan S. Clemens, JaeYeon Chung, and Stacey Foster in April and May of 1997. Processed accretions to the collection since the transfer to Pitts Library were added in May 1997.